Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Guided Reading Teachers

I selected a guided reading article called "Guided Reading: A Research-Based Response to the Challenges of Early Reading Instruction" by Anita Iaquinta. This article really served to define and describe the key elements of guided reading, explain why guided reading is important, provide an example of a guided reading lesson, and most importantly, define a teacher's role in the guiding reading process. I really enjoyed this article because of the emphasis it put on the teacher in the guided reading dynamic grouping setting. The article uses words like "prompt, guide, direct, and monitor" in describing the teacher's role. In other words, the teacher should scaffold in a guided reading setting so that the students continue to expand their zone of proximal development. It is also appropriate to use direct teaching to "explicitly teach reading strategies at the students' individual levels." In the end, guided reading promotes good reading habits and strategies that children can use when reading individually.

I witnessed a guided reading session when I visited my mom's school. I was amazed at how efficient the session was and how receptive the children seemed. A hard working teacher and fun, effective materials are a must! Pictured below is the area where the guided reading took place. I was asked to refrain from picturing the students so just use your imagination!

She had already put away the books, but the finger pointers were used in both the reading and this exercise, which the students did at the end. The word work exercise at the end of the guided reading lesson featured manipulating letters, sounds, and words from the book on their individual magnetic boards in order to practice phonics.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to take a picture of a guided reading environment at your mom's school! That makes it seem much more real, applicable, and achievable to me as a future teacher! The area looks very inviting and welcoming. In the class where I am, they also use the finger pointers while reading. Right now they are also using little rubber witch fingers that they can slip over their pointer finger while they point to different words as they read! The kids love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you got to observe your mom's school and were able to see a guided reading activity first hand in action! Thanks for sharing the photograph of the guided reading area! It looks very inviting and interactive for the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I loved reading about your mother's classroom and her use of the finger pointers. I have always been skeptical of them but your real life experience has helped to ease my doubts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete